The Big Change
When you’re speaking of health and change, menopause is definitely one of those changes that come to mind. Hot flashes, night sweats, libido changes, mood swings and weight gain, among other symptoms, are often the result of this massive change in hormones in a woman’s body. I have met lots of women who spend almost as much time fearing it as experiencing it, so I am convinced some of it is the “search and you shall find” brand of symptoms as well (expect to feel a certain way, you will often find evidence that you do!). Regardless of what aspects of this shift are mental and which are physical, there are things you can do to make “the change” a lot easier to manage!
- Acupuncture – to help balance hormones, which are the cause of all the fun! And believe it or not, acupuncture is very relaxing.
- Reflexology – again, reflexology is wonderful at balancing hormones to make the shift a lot “mellow-er”. And you get a great foot rub, so there is really no downside!
- Herbology – there are specific herbs that will help to regulate hormones and nourish your glands. Sex drive up, weight gain down!
- Clinical Hypnotherapy – reproductive and hormone changes, like I said, have a large emotional and mental component. If there are people who do not suffer through symptoms, then it can hardly be impossible for you to as well. Exploring your emotions and your subconscious thoughts around this change will make the transition easier.
OK, that’s all well and good, but what do I do RIGHT NOW to help my symptoms? Here are a few at home tips:-
– night sweats, take a cool shower before bed and avoid these common triggers:
– no cigarettes
– no spicy food and drinks
– no excessive sugar, alcohol or caffeine
– no diet pills and stimulants
– for loss of libido, increase zinc and magnesium-rich foods (oysters really are an aphrodisiac because of their high zinc content!). Almonds, leafy greens, lean red meat and pumpkin seeds are all good. Make sure you are getting enough lean, clean protein as well.
– try eliminating sugar, dairy, wheat and caffeine for 6 weeks – chances are, most of your symptoms will disappear or lessen!